The $1 Million Case of The Red-Soled Shoes
I’m sure you have all heard of this lawsuit by now if you’re a shoe lover! But if not, here it is: Christian Louboutin is suing Yves Saint Laurent for trademark infringement over selling red-soled shoes.
Actually, Christian Louboutin contacted YSL in January in Paris and asked them to stop selling their red shoes with red soles, but YSL replied that they were going to continue to sell the shoes in quesion…so the lawsuit was eventually filed in the U.S. on Thursday.
Law experts said this could drag on for months, although it will probably settle out of court before going to trial.
The shoes in question have a colored suede upper and colored soles of an identical shade. According to online research by Footwear News, the YSL styles in the suit come not just in red with red soles, but also in green with green soles, and purple with purple soles.
ChristianLouboutin was awarded a registered trademark for its red sole by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office in 2008, and now seeks a court injunction against YSL’s sale of its shoes, as well as damages of at least $1 million.
According to FN, “Louboutin has successfully obtained injunctions in Manhattan courts against companies attempting to replicate its red-sole success, most recently in February against Kimera International, which was found to have ‘engaged in acts of trademark counterfeiting, trademark infringement, unfair competition/false designation of origin and trademark dilution.'”
So what do you think? Should YSL stop making and selling their red shoes with red soles? Or should Christian Louboutin drop this lawsuit? What do you think about a trademark over a color? It could make for some interesting discussions about the law and shoes…please feel free to comment and add to the debate!
- Louboutin vs. Yves Saint Laurent (shoeblog.com)
- Daily Discovery: Christian Louboutin Sues YSL (latifalshamsi.wordpress.com)
- Louboutin VS YSL (damitaro.wordpress.com)
- Another Day, Another Lawsuit: Christian Louboutin Suing YSL For Trying To Sell Red Soled Shoes (bossip.com)
- Christian Louboutin Versus YSL – Shoe Wars! (fashion-mommy.com)
- Christian Louboutin goes toe-to-toe with YSL in court for ‘copying’ distinctive red sole (dailymail.co.uk)
- Shoe Designer Christian Louboutin Sues Yves Saint Laurent for Red Soled Concept (dreblacksofresh.com)
- FASHION NEWS: Christian Louboutin Sues Yves Saint Laurent Over Red-Soled Shoes (rubysview.com)
- Christian Louboutin Sued Yves Saint Laurent Over Some Red Shoes (nymag.com)
- Louboutin Sues Yves Saint Laurent Over Red-Sole Shoes (businessweek.com)
- Designers Embroiled in Shoe Showdown (abcnews.go.com)
- Red soles are his alone, Louboutin says in suit (today.msnbc.msn.com)
- Louboutin vs. YSL: Sound off! (shoeblog.com)